Georgy Porgy, pudding pie

 Buutttt did George in the Tree make us cry?

Hello dear readers, I am back with another restaurant review (RR) 

Now, let's address the elephant in the blog, in the last review I said my next post would be a review of the Brazilian restaurant in Coventry City Centre, and it is in fact a review of a completely different restaurant. Let this be a valuable life lesson, always expect 'crushing disappointment' and you can only be pleasantly surprised. I will get to the Brazilian restaurant in due course, however.  So on with the review.

George In The Tree Beefeater

 Kenilworth Road, Balsall Common, CV7 7EX 

Opening times

Mon-Sat 11.30am - 11pm

Sun 12pm - 10.30pm

Breakfast serving times

Weekdays                                  
6:30am - 10:30am

Weekends 

7am- 11am








Yes, it's a Beefeater, which also means it's adjacent to a hotel, very handy if you overeat and need a nap :)

Having been here a few times already- I had noticed they do a 'Sunday Roast special' which I was very interested in trying, so I called on my food friend (FF) "oooh food friend" (Inbetweeners reference for any confused readers) and we headed down on a Sunday night to sample the delights of the  Sunday Roast.

But first, we had to enjoy the cheesy mushroom starter (pictured below)


Now, these were straight-up delicious- and I can say with 'some certainty' that if I go here again and order starters- I will order a double portion of these.
Then it was onto the main event, the reason for attending, the 'Sunday dinner' there are a few options- a half chicken, beef, or lamb, or 'the ultimate Sunday roast' (whereby you enjoy all 3 types of meat). I opted for the lamb and 'upgraded' so had a slice of beef as well.


Now important to note that the Roast spuds and Yorkshire puddings are unlimited- just ask the friendly server if you want more and they bring more over to the table.
Following this, both my friend and I ordered a dessert- Cheesecake and Ice-cream for me and a sticky toffee pudding with custard for my friend. (Pictured below)

Now this Sunday evening meal was extremely tasty, the meat was succulent, the veg was lovely and the puddings were delightful, but, in the words of one of my former professors, yes, there is ALWAYS a but, the roast potatoes, such a staple of the Sunday Roast, were really not good, somehow tasting both undercooked and overcooked at the same time, a real let down in comparison to the rest of the meal.

I asked my friend what score he would give it out of 5 and, due to the disappointment about the spuds, he awarded it 3 Marc-Marcs:



But this review is only just beginning, as the very next day, with it being half term I also took my nephews for a two-course lunch scenario, so let's give Georgy Porgy some Nik-Knack scores!

Location and layout

Located in Berkswell, whilst not far from Warwick Uni, it's not within walking distance, however in car/uber it's merely 5-10 minutes away, and actually it's quite refreshing to head away from the city for a quieter location sometimes. The layout inside is very pleasant- it's a spacious scenario with plenty of tables and a bar area around the corner. But despite its size, if you would like to try the Sunday meal, it is advisable to book a table, any other time you will probably be okay just turning up.

4 Nik-knacks




Menu

The menu is impressive, with both a standard menu, breakfast menu, daytime set menu and evening set menus, with a large set of options ranging from meat platters to burgers, to lasagne, and of course Veggie options such as Chilli non-carne. I have to say it would be very unlikely for anyone to come here and not find a meal they could enjoy.  Being a noted skinflint, I treated my nephews to the daytime menu, which is a more than reasonable £9.95 for 2 courses (3 for £11.95)

Starter Chicken wings and Cheesy garlic bread pictured:



(Main) steak and chips pictured 

You really can't fault the menu size;  5 Nik-Knacks

Drinks, there is a vast bar available serving Cocktails, Mocktails, beer, cider, and soft drinks!

If you want to check these menus out yourself before heading down- click here: George Menus

5 Nik-knacks!


Price

Time to pay the piper- bill time! 
The price- is very reasonable especially if you take advantage of the deals, I already mentioned the daytime menu prices, but the evening set meal is also reasonably priced at 3 courses- £17.95. 
The regular menu whilst not dirt cheap- is also fairly priced, in fact, the most expensive meal on the menu is the T Bone steak priced at £24.95 but regular meals such as standard fish and chips are there for £12.99

It's a wallet-friendly 4 Nik-knacks pricewise.


Summary

Having been several times to George before the two occasions the review pertains to, I was very much looking forward to the Sunday roast as all the times I had been before I had found it delicious, however, the spuds from the Sunday roast live long in the memory sadly, However, the following day it was back in form with the set menu, indeed my 15-year-old nephew proudly declared it 5 out of 5 and "so so tasty", which is either a fair review or a desperate attempt to get me to take him to lunch again Prices are fine, location is okay and the selection of drinks is very good. 

Overall, I give George in The Tree a very respectable 4 Nik-knacks!


So if you want more than the Dirty Duck, and a change from the Vars, take an uber (not a Voi) and give George in the tree a try, you won't be disappointed (except maybe by the spuds on Sunday)


So for now- farewell!





Comments

  1. Very helpful post! Nick I wish I would try some day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh, Sandy. Well, you came and you wrote a blog, that I am reviewing today, Oh, Sandy

I know you are in cahoots, with Kahoot!

I beg your pardon??? I never promised you a Quest.Garden