FOLD IN THE CHEESE!

 

I cannot show you everything, but unlike Moira, I CAN show you one thing, and that is my review of :


The Cheesecake Factory

Beijing

Opening hours:11AM - 10PM



Following my brief sojourn in the UK to work at a summer school, I began my new teaching position as a University Teacher in Zhangjiakou, Northern China.  Having been here for a few months now and sampled many restaurants, my interest was piqued when I heard a rumour that 'The Cheesecake factory' might well offer the best Western food in China.  So I gathered two local Zhangjiakou residents and headed to Beijing, taking a ghastly early morning train we arrived in Hutong early enough to grab a Peets coffee, which is now my coffee shop of choice. 

Fully caffeinated and in the knowledge that The Cheesecake Factory had just opened, we began the short walk from mall to mall. I'd heard that the prices in the Cheesecake factory were a little on the pricey side, and it certainly felt we were in the right place for that to be true, as we passed by numerous high-end shops. The restaurant itself is located on the top floor of a posh-looking mall, which sits immediately in front of what can only be described as a 'fake Big Ben' See:




So, grasping my wallet with sweaty palms and concerns I wouldn't be able to keep the lights on for the rest of the month, we headed inside.

Location and layout


Located at 269 Wangfujing Street, in the Dongcheng District, it's (like most places in Beijing) easily accessible via Subway. It also happens to be located near a famous Beijing Duck restaurant so it's really quite handily located. But, what about the layout I hear you cry? well, as you ascend the elevator you are greeted with a pleasant-looking sight of the Cheesecake factory, perfect for your Insta-Beijing diary:



Upon heading inside, you immediately walk past the impressive display of different cheesecakes, before finding a table or a booth, of which there are plenty to plump yourself.  Nothing to complain about here! 

5 Nik-Knacks





Menu


Fancy feeling overwhelmed today? grab a Cheesecake Factory menu, offering a ridiculously expansive range of starters, mains, and desserts, a large % of your time spent here will be on deciding what to order!

Being delivered as a small book, here is page one to give you an idea.


Bonus points for providing both English printed and Mandarin printed books for our mixed nationality party.  Given the extent of options available, even the pickiest of people should be able to find something they like, main dishes ranged from various burgers to Mexican offerings to good old fish and chips (although of course, these 'chips' are French Fries 😒)

Overall, I can't fault the menu, a wide choice in every category, 

It's another 5 Nik-knacks. They are killing it so far. 






Price


If you can't think of something to say, a common English idiom is 'Cat got your tongue?'
which is appropriate here as I was a bit shook when I first saw the prices, with an average 'main menu meal' coming in at around 150 yuan (£15 for the Brits) and a good steak coming in at a whopping 400 Yuan average (£40). Standard prices in a Western restaurant, but certainly not a restaurant in China. Offering cocktails and Beers, I had 2 pints of Stella at 60 Yuan(£6) a pop 

I'm afraid price is where the factory falls off  a cliff somewhat, with a disappointing two Nik-Knacks




Summary


So. Overall. The Cheesecake factory,  I had big big hopes, not least as it was the first time I was going to get some proper Nachos in quite some time,   

Below are some of the dishes me and my associates sampled: 

Starters:


   Stuffed Mushrooms
Crab Cakes           

    Nachos


The stuffed mushrooms in a wine sauce were delicious, and the crab cakes were not too bad. Sadly the Nachos were a bit of a let-down, as they took the cheese part of their name overboard and seemed to melt an entire block of cheese over one plate of nachos. 

Mains: 


Vintage Stuffed Cheddar burger
Breaded Chicken and Mash

I opted for the Stuffed cheddar burger shown above, which when cutting into the meat had the cheese oozing out satisfactorily, it tasted excellent, although the fries were of a standard affair and not what you might hope for from such a high-priced restaurant. My two companions chose the Enchiladas and the Breaded chicken respectively, the Enchiladas tasted good, although at the level you would expect them to be, whereas the breaded chicken could only be described as a crushing disappointment. Tasting like the kind of breaded chicken you might have been served for a cheap dinner in the mid-90s when your parents didn't have time to make a proper dinner and needed to knock up something quickly.

Cheesecake- The Main Event: 



Although my heart was initially set on the Salted caramel Cheesecake pre-arrival, it turns out that if you spend over a certain amount you will receive a complimentary piece of vanilla cheesecake. (given the prices I would be surprised if basically everyone doesn't get this) However, with a healthy helping of whipped cream, it's a delicious end to your meal.


So it's a nice location, the vibe and atmosphere are good, and the staff are friendly 'some' of the food is absolutely delicious, but there is the crux, given the price, 'some' is not a great thing for me to say.  The fries were bland, and one of the main meals was straight up just not particularly good. It's more of a gimmick restaurant, it's an American chain so the gimmick is the huge portions of food. Having been accustomed to Hong Kong's take on Western food, I had high hopes for the Cheesecake Factory, sadly I left with both a feeling of being underwhelmed and a hole that I had blown in my wallet. 

For this reason, it's a disappointing 3 Nik-Knacks overall for the Cheesecake Factory.




and with that. I'm out. 




sojourn
A "sojourn" refers to a temporary stay or a brief period spent in a particular place. It implies a short and often purposeful visit,

piqued 
"Piqued" is an adjective that describes a state of heightened interest, curiosity, or excitement.

Big Ben
"Big Ben" refers to the Great Bell of the clock at the north end of the Palace of Westminster in London. Often, the name "Big Ben" is also used to refer to the entire clock tower, although its official name is the Elizabeth Tower.

ascend
"To ascend" means to move or rise upward, typically gradually or continuously.

overwhelmed
People may use the term "overwhelmed" to express the sense of being inundated or swamped by the demands of a particular situation.

Cat got your tongue
The expression "Cat got your tongue?" is a rhetorical question or idiom used to inquire why someone is unusually silent or not responding when they are expected to speak or provide an answer. It is often used in a light-hearted or teasing manner to prompt someone to break their silence

accustomed
The term "accustomed" is an adjective that describes being familiar with or used to a particular situation





P.S If you were wondering, here is the fold in the cheese clip:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh, Sandy. Well, you came and you wrote a blog, that I am reviewing today, Oh, Sandy

I know you are in cahoots, with Kahoot!

I beg your pardon??? I never promised you a Quest.Garden