Two Short stories

My entry into the NYC Two-Story Writing Challenge 2026



Comedy

Action: Feeding a baby

Word: Transform

Protect Serve and feed

“Gimme one of those damn donuts.” Ally leaned over, helping herself to a strawberry delight.

“Dull day, huh?” she stated loudly, between bites and licking her lips.

Mark paid minimal attention as he stared at his phone. “Uh-huh,” he muttered.

With his focus on his phone, and Ally lost in a world of donut delight, the two rookie officers were barely registering anything around them. Thus, Mark was thunderstruck when he looked up, straight into the eyes of a giant baby staring straight back at him. It perched on his car bonnet, and Mark guessed around 25 feet if it stood up. The monster stared at Mark, cocking his head with a confused look.

“A-a-A-a-A-a-ALLLLY!” he shouted. The baby giggled.

Then Ally saw... and immediately let out a blood-curdling scream! “What is that?! How did a baby transform into this monstrosity???” she gasped.

It looked at Ally and started bawling; ’twas outrageously loud.

“Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,” Mark pleaded. They got out of the car, eyes transfixed on the diaper-donned monster.

“Maybe he’s hungry?” Mark thought out loud.

“What would it even eat?” scoffed Ally.

Mark was suddenly hit with a fantastic idea. He retrieved the donuts, offering the giant one, who took it from Mark's hand and flung it down the street. It must have travelled at least two blocks before eventually colliding with some unsuspecting wretch, now covered in jam.

Only one thing for it: Mark scaled the giant, flabby skin. Finally reaching the mouth, he reached to place the donut... only to be swallowed whole with the donut... noooo...baby satiated!

“Donuts, diapers, gotta feed the baby.”

He woke up to his arm being pulled by Ally. “Mark, the test is over, let’s go celebrate becoming police officers.”

Mark stared down. All he had written: donut, giant baby.

 

 

Romance

Action: Authenticating

Word : detail

It's All in the Details

"I hate you!!!" Claire screamed at the bank teller in front of her. She knew she was out of line, the poor guy was just doing his job; knowing that didn’t make it any less frustrating.

“I’m sorry, ma'am. As soon as I’ve finished authenticating your documents, you can be on your way,” Anthony apologetically offered. He was resigned to being shouted at for the rest of his life. If it wasn’t an out-of-line customer, it was his idiot boss, Giles, ranting and raving like a lunatic.

Giles was an emperor’s new clothes situation; giving off a façade of being a humble, genuine guy. Meanwhile, Anthony knew the tyrant behind the mask. It was finally too much. As Claire stared at him impatiently, he began to sob.

Claire felt her anger dissipating as she stared at the wretched being in front of her. Yes, it was a lot of detail she had to go into, but in reality, she knew it was good that her belongings were so secure.

“Hey man, I’m sorry if I was snappy. I’ve been having a really bad day; I didn’t mean to take it out on you.” Anthony forced a smile between sobs. It was the first nice thing anyone had said to him in months.

He often thought about that day in the bank; it was his final day as a teller. He recalled the anger, then resignation he felt as that witchlike lady hollered at him. He couldn’t help but give a little chuckle as the priest finally signed the paperwork. With the authentication complete: “You may now kiss the bride.”

He lifted the veil to Claire’s beaming smile, grinning like the Cheshire cat. It’s a fine line between love and hate, but, after all, it’s all in the details.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh, Sandy. Well, you came and you wrote a blog, that I am reviewing today, Oh, Sandy

I know you are in cahoots, with Kahoot!

I beg your pardon??? I never promised you a Quest.Garden