Padding up your lessons- with Padlet!

Oh hello you- I hope you enjoyed my Moira compilation last week and welcome to this weeks blog.

Today I'm taking a look at Padlet. An online tool which can be used in class (pending T'internet access) and set as a (short) homework. 

So what is it? In essence, it's effectively a noticeboard. You can post a topic/subject (a padlet) which your learners can then respond to. You will need to sign up for an account - you can do this using your google, Microsoft or Apple email address:


Now it's important to note there is both a free and paid version of Padlet- The free version only allows you to post up to 3 Padlets- (you can delete and post new ones consistently of course) or you can pay $8 a month to be able to post unlimited Padlets- this is of course worth doing if you intend to make Padlets a regular part of your teaching. But should you? Let's  take  the Padlet adventure together and find out!


Being a very poor student, I was unable to get the old moth collector out, so I have signed up for the free version for a trial. Below is my 'Dashboard' or homescreen:



You will note how easy it is to create a Padlet- just hit the Pink 'Make a Padlet button' 

Next you can choose how to organise your Padlet:



Once you have selected a theme- you can modify and create your Padlet.

I have created a trial Padlet here: Nik's Padlet

I hope you will take a look and add your own reply :)

So we need to give this baby a score!


Organisation and Layout

Of all the tools I have looked at so far, this is probably the easiest to use- the lay out is great. Organisation is fine- when you first select a theme however, it's not immediately clear where you go to modify the Padlet/give it a title.    4 Nik-Knacks


Content and Features

The features are okay- this is a straightforward tool, so it's not bursting with surprise features. But the padlets themselves are adaptable- you can add gifs/images etc.  The content is also perfectly acceptable (the subject is your choice sooo..) Also there is the option to 'view the gallery' please see image below:



These are examples from the Padlet team and community. Which can both be used and adapted. 5 Nik-knacks


Ease of Use and Navigation

Despite my initial scepticism when not seeing where to modify the title immediately- It's sooo easy to use. Navigation is oh so simple and can't really fault the tool here. 5 Nik-knacks


Target Audience

It's designed for teachers to utilise and I really can't see how any teacher could NOT find this useful- so it's really knocked it out the park here. 5 Nik-knacks


Summary

I asked at the start if it was worth paying for. For me, it's an emphatic yes. This tool is so useful, I will 'for sure' be upgrading to the paid account (once I'm a 'well paid' teacher of course, so perhaps in 2050 if I'm lucky)

If you are interested in using Padlet- I strongly suggest taking a look at our old Friend Russell's Video below:




So to once again confirm- I love it. The only drawbacks I can see are 1) you have to pay for the upgraded version and 2)  It does require internet access, which again is not always a given.

However these two drawbacks are minor complaints and for the second week in a row, we have a easy 5 Nik-knacks tool!!





I hope you have enjoyed this weeks blog about Padlet. 

Last week I shared with you Moira and her most comedic moments. however this is an English Language blog after all, so this week- let's learn some English from Moira's 'eccentric vocabulary' 

Watch the video below- and let me know how many of the words you already knew in the comments :D







Comments

  1. Morning Frosty, another nice review. I've answered in your Padlet board, can't wait to see others' recommendations. The only uncomfortable thing was I couldn't add more than one picture in my Padlet. The tool would be useful if teachers can use it for gathering students' opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nik, I didn't know much about Padlet before I read your blog. I used to think that it is totally free, but it turns out to have some limitations on the number of the Padlet users could create. Thank you for this information. Is there any other way we can use Padlet instead of just posting out questions and collecting replies? Hope we can explore it together in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oh, Sandy. Well, you came and you wrote a blog, that I am reviewing today, Oh, Sandy

I know you are in cahoots, with Kahoot!

I beg your pardon??? I never promised you a Quest.Garden